Our hearing, just like other senses, plays a significant role in our day-to-day living. When hearing impairment sets in due to infection, trauma, noise, drugs, and genetic factors, it degrades our quality of life.
Hearing loss can be classified into different types. It depends on where the damage or disease is located.
Types of Hearing Loss:
1. Conductive Hearing Loss:
In this case, the damage is located within the outer and middle ear
2. Sensori-Neural Hearing Loss:
In this case, there’s a blockage or damage within the inner ear preventing the sound from the outer and middle ear from reaching the brain
3. Mixed Hearing Loss:
This is part conductive and part sensory-neural pathology (damage)
4. Functional Hearing Loss:
This is a hearing loss that has no organic basis or a hearing loss exaggerated beyond its limit.
5. Central Hearing Loss:
This has to do with hearing loss located within the brain-stem and the auditory cortex.
EFFECTS OF UNMANAGED HEARING LOSS
Unmanaged hearing loss do have consequences such as lack of speech and language development, psychosocial effect such as social isolation, withdrawal syndrome etc., educational retardation, future vocational impact, cognitive deterioration.
- When you think people don’t speak loud enough
- When you turn up the volume of the TV above other viewers comfort
- When you feel a blockage in the ear(s)
- When you experience ringing sensation in the ear(s)
- When you find it difficult to follow a conversation with ease in a noisy environment
- When you find it harder to hear female or children’s voices
- When you strain to hear at a meeting or church/mosques services
- When you ask people to repeat themselves very often or pretend to hear when not
- When people tell you you’re shouting when talking
- If you have a family history of hearing loss
- If you’re exposed to high noise level either at work, home or environment-do not forget generator noise can damage our hearing
- If you have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart, circulation or thyroid problems, your hearing may as well be compromised
- If you’re on ototoxic (hearing damaging) medications
- If you have suffered or currently suffering from discharging ears
- If you’re a chronic cigarette smoker or alcohol abuser you need to check your hearing
- If you constantly suffer from dizziness with nausea/vomiting and fullness in the ear
BETTER HEARING HEALTH STEPS
- Never delay seeing an audiologist or your ENT surgeon if you suspect a hearing loss
- Take advantage of hearing screening test each time you visit your physician for general health check
- Avoid dipping a cotton bud into your ears in the name of wanting to clean your ears
- Avoid inserting any sharp object into your ears as any abrasion caused in the ear canal may result in infection of the outer ear
- Remember hearing is important for your social interaction, learning in school, office efficiency and productivity, confidence, mental health and safety
At Decibel Hearing Consultants we offer a wide range of hearing aids and their accessories (solar-powered hearing aids and non-solar powered are available)
We are not rigidly tied to a particular manufacturer so as to extend to our patient’s flexibility of choice.